Missoni

August 10, 2009

First Sweater

IMG_6720
Cobblestone by Jared Flood
Knit using Cascade 220 Tweed, Olive colorway.
Knit with US size 6 circular needles.
Ravelers find it here!

Hey guys!  I've been pretty quite for the last few months.  Other things have been taking up a lot of time, but thankfully I've been able to keep knitting.  I started Cobblestone last, errr... October (that's so embarrassing to admit!), and finished both sleeves then.  In January I hurt my back and was on the sofa for a week (that's embarrassing too!), so thus began work on the body of the sweater.  I had hoped to have Cobblestone finished by the time we went skiing in March, but had a glaring mistake in the yoke that I tried to pretend wasn't glaring for, oh about 5 inches.  By the time I acknowledged the mistake I was in no mood to tink so I stuffed it in a bag and forgot about the whole thing until just a couple of weeks ago!

I started work on organizing and arranging my work/yarn room (been in the house a year, embarrassed yet again!) and found A's Cobblestone waiting patiently in the corner.  So I put in a DVD and spent the next day tinking back 5 inches.  Thankfully after that things went along smoothly, and a mere 2 days later I had a finished sweater, blocked and ready to wear!

IMG_6722

This was an incredibly easy "first sweater" pattern.  I was surprised at how well everything turned out, with nothing being wonkey anywhere!  Maybe it's just me, but I've dreaded my first sweater for 2 years because of the possibility of something being wonkey! 

IMG_6718

I knit the small version and after A tried it on, everything fit perfectly.  I extended the length of the arms slightly, but besides that had no modifications.  The Cascade Tweed (aka my favorite workhorse of a yarn) paired perfectly with the pattern and the stitch definition looks really good.  I look forward to knitting this pattern again, maybe in a charcoal or oatmeal tweed?

IMG_6707

Hopefully I'll be able to get some photos of A modeling his sweater, rather than Lu and myself (like the striped pj's?).  He was terribly excited about my actually finishing this project, as he thought it would never be done!  But it's amazing how the process of organizing and reorganizing a room can give you just the lift needed to knock out some UFO's.  I hope everyone's doing well!  I'm looking forward to being back online and posting on more finished knits!  Happy Knitting!

 ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: AA  DATE: 08/10/2009 01:43:59 PM I've begged for socks and longed for my sweater. . . . well, the old saying is true--good things come to those who wait. My very first knit! What a treasure! It's perfect in every way (sleeves and all)! I no longer have to begrudge all those little babies who have received their first handknit sweater from JLA. I have my own-ha! You can bet I'm already eyeing that first crisp late fall Saturday morning on the deck watching college gameday with a cup of joe, my Cobblestone and my favorite jeans. And I'll have it with me everynight in the ski mountains this winter. Thanks, babe--I love it! And perfectly timed.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Cybelde Jong  DATE: 08/10/2009 03:09:12 PM What a lovely comment - I think your handknit is being appreciated!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Ulla V. DATE: 08/10/2009 03:40:15 PM What a LOVELY surprise to find a post from your blog - that made me so happy. :)) I see that you have been busy making gorgeous stuff! (I knew you would). Cobblestone is a great pattern and it suits so well. My husband still wears his green one. Your Cobblestone turned out beautifully - I really like the yarn you used. So what are you going to knit now? Another sweater? How funny that you picked that excact kind of lace for your 1st laceknitting. Isn't the way of knitting called fan and feather? (or something like that). It does look a lot like the lacepattern I knitted for my 1st laceknitting experience not so long ago. I made a little dress for our 3 year old niece. Knitting lace is rather funny... Have a nice time, Jennifer. :)) Summer greetings, Ulla
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Leslie  DATE: 08/18/2009 07:40:14 AM Wow, I'm so happy to see you back in this space! That is a great sweater pattern and it looks perfect in the tweed. My first sweater was a mess and it's not anything I'd ever show anyone :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment