Missoni

July 13, 2008

Aye Aye Cap'n!

Cap'n Crunch English Pidge
Cap'n Crunch by Jennifer Adams
Project Specs:
Knit in Manos del Uruguay, #40 Goldenrod.
Knitted on US Size 10 Brittany Birch straight needles.
Pattern PDF

Hey guys!  Long time no see!  I can't believe it's been almost a month since my last post.  I guess things have been getting pretty busy around the Adams' house, including a move set for next weekend (insert Jennifer biting fingernails here).  But I've got to say I have been keeping up with all the great knitting going out there, and have really enjoyed some of the group discussions on Ravelry.  Alice introduced me to the group forums on Rav.  I've been blissfully unaware of so much of the "goings-on" in the knit-o-sphere, and now I'm trying to catch up on all I've missed.  I'm a member of a lot of groups but I guess I never paid much attention to the group discussions.  So, if we're in a group together and you notice me commenting a lot (!) just chalk it up to yours truly playing around with a new toy.  And goodness knows I have never been at a loss for words!

Green vintage buttons finish it off!
This month at our yarn shop we are celebrating Christmas in July, and we've got a lot coming up, including EZ classes and a mitten class featuring Fiddlehead.  And we also have quite a bit of Manos del Uruguay in stock as well.  I had originally planned to knit Shifting Sands using this colorway, Goldenrod, but the pattern just wasn't showing up as clearly as I had hoped.  So instead, I spent last Saturday knitting and frogging, frogging and knitting until I came up with something that could really show the texture of Manos. 

I began working with a simple basket weave pattern and discovered that it really worked best with the yarn held doubled.  Then I rummaged around in my grandmother's sewing box and found a couple of great green buttons to finish it off.  So from beginning to end, this pidge took three hours (or three episodes of CSI).  Pretty good for last minute Christmas gifts! 

I also soaked this for a LONG time, okay... actually I forgot about it, so it softened up considerably.  I have also heard of soaking Manos in conditioner, and if you have tried this, let me know!  I'm interested in giving that ago, with proper instructions.  But overall, I think it turned out well.  I've been wearing it around all morning and it's not the least bit itchy.

Barley?  Or Cap'n Crunch?
And then there was trying to come up with a name.  Andy came through and I asked him, "does this sort of look like barley to you?"  And he answered, "It looks like Cap'n Crunch.  I'm hungry."  So there you go.  Bon Appetit!

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Leslie  DATE: 07/13/2008 05:56:12 PM Very pretty--a great color, and awesome buttons! And it does look like Cap'n Crunch.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: knitography DATE: 07/13/2008 07:38:50 PM Very pretty! I love how it provides a splash of colour, and of course it's very Project Spectrum appropriate.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Myriam  DATE: 07/14/2008 09:07:04 AM Love the color and it looks great on you! Good Luck with your move :)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Ginnie  DATE: 07/14/2008 02:44:29 PM Cute! I love the buttons.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Becca  DATE: 07/14/2008 09:35:31 PM Moving to my neighborhood? ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Stacey DATE: 07/22/2008 06:29:13 AM Already "queued" :o)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Shannon DATE: 07/26/2008 04:19:45 PM Going to add this to my queue right now. So so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment