Missoni

November 1, 2009

Mittens!

Lovikka Mittens

Lovikka Mittens by Jennifer Adams
Project Specs:
Knit in Araucania Azapa, oatmeal.
Knitted on size US 10 needles.

My friend Shelly Stilger, owner of my local yarn shop Twist, asked me to write the November pattern for our shop's mitten of the month club.  I haven't written a pattern in a long (!) time and thought this would be a great kick-in-the-pants deadline... something I haven't had in a seemingly much longer (!) time.  I knew I wanted to do something classic and traditional, and after mulling it over for a couple of days, I decided on Scandinavian Lovikka mittens.  Simple mittens that are felted for added warmth and fulled for added softness the Lovikka pattern dates back to turn of 19th century Sweden.  And I love the simplicity of the embroidered cuffs and trimming used in the embellishments.

Embroidery Floss embellishes this traditional Scandinavian mitten.
I used Araucania Azapa yarn for these mitts, a great bulky Donegal tweed that felts well.  It also knits up amazing fast, both mittens taking less than 4 hours to complete.  The really fun part of this pattern is left in the details.  I felted mine to fit a child (7 inch width, 9 inch length), but changing felting time can result in a larger mitten.  Then using a pet grooming brush the fibers are combed and trimmed, resulting in a really soft and dense fabric.  Simple embroidery and a braid finish things off, and within a weekend you have a fun and traditional pair of Scandinavian mittens!
 
Happy Knitting!

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jen in KS  DATE: 11/04/2009 01:37:59 AM Another beautiful project, Jen. Proud just to know you. 
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Betsy DATE: 01/24/2010 07:12:38 PM What is the name and color of the yarn of the In Progress sweater w/ the seed stitch? I love the color. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment