Missoni

August 10, 2009

First Lace Project... Baby Steps!

IMG_6775

Lace Poncho by Susan Sturnlieb
Knit using Malabrigo Silky Merino, Cloudy Sky colorway.
Knit on US size 8 circular needles.
Ravelers find it here.

Back in the fall of 2008 I got a package in the mail from my friend, Alice, of Kathryn Ivy.  Inside I found 2 gorgeous skeins of Malabrigo Silky Merino.  At the time few were getting their hands on this luscious stuff so I counted myself incredibly lucky that Alice would part with a couple skeins!  I tucked it away for several months trying to decide on the perfect project for such a fantastic gift.

IMG_6753

A few months later I came across Susan's Lace Poncho pattern and had found just what I was looking for.  I had never ventured to try a lace pattern (not including EZ's February Baby Sweater) and wanted something that wouldn't require working and reworking due to operator error... this was perfect for a first lace pattern!  I didn't have to tink once! (Yep, you read that right... not one time!) The ostrich plume pattern was easily memorized and I was finished within a couple of days.

IMG_6750

I used 2 full skeins of Silky Merino on this project, and it was a dream to knit with.  I recently purchased 4 skeins of Sundara's Aran Merino and I find the two yarns very similiar.  I opted to forgo seaming to make a poncho, and instead have a small shawl or scarf.  I love the scalloped edging created by the plumes and the overall delicate look of this project.

IMG_6755

I highly recommend this pattern for a first lace project.  Sometimes wrapping your mind around a chart can be complicated, and this pattern allows you to knit up your shawl will considerable confidence! (Something I sometimes struggle with... ha!) 

So thanks Alice for such a gorgeous gift!  I love the finished project and look forward to purchasing more of this lovely yarn!  Goodness knows I've got plenty of shawls now queued in Ravelry, just waiting for more of this yummy stuff!  Happy Knitting!

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Livm  DATE: 08/11/2009 07:19:54 AM It's just so pretty! Good work!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Leslie DATE: 08/18/2009 07:42:29 AM Yay, great job! This is very pretty. I'm impressed that you never had to tink on this one...I doubt I could say the same about any of my projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment