Missoni

January 26, 2008

One More 'Gain*

It's still January right? For a few more days anyway. Although I don't think the temperature on the prairie has any intentions of rising much. This week we've seen mornings dipping below zero, so I believe another January Hat is in order! Actually, this one is going to hang out at our LYS, Twist, so it's going to be pampered a bit, unlike it's much worn first-cousin.

This one is an adult-small, knitted on US 3 and 5's using Cascade220 wool. The only thing to watch for in knitting this hat is making sure your tension is not too tight between snowflakes. Because they are spaced a bit, it could be easy to pull too much between each, which, on circulars, can be hard to gauge. If I find that my my yarn between flakes is straight, or stretched, I know I need to loosen up a bit, allowing for a bit of "droop." Tension with stranded colorwork can sometimes be tricky, especially if you tend to be a tight knitter (like me). There's nothing worse than finishing a great hat to discover that it won't fit on your head. Even with blocking!

And speaking of blocking, here we are before...

Beforeblocking
 
and after...

Januaryhatblue_2

Ravelers queue it up here.

Now I'm thinking the only thing left to do for the January Hat is to come up with a pair of January Mittens. I'm not usually so matchy-matchy (like Miss Priss), but this hat just seems lonely without a matching pair. So we'll see if I have enough time before winter's over to come up with something! A little lagniappe!**
*one more 'gain is New Orleans speak for "one more time..."
**a lagniappe is New Orleans for "a little something extra..." ;-)

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: sue DATE: 01/26/2008 05:50:49 PM The January hat looks beautiful and I love the colors too.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: julie  DATE: 01/27/2008 02:30:04 PM great hat! amazing how much difference the blocking makes (I must do more of it!)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Ulla  DATE: 01/27/2008 04:38:08 PM Lovely colour combination...Did you knit it for a shop? Or did I just misunderstand the flickr picture. Ulla :0)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 01/27/2008 05:47:17 PM Thanks guys! I did knit it for our local yarn shop, Twist. They are giving copies of the pattern away with yarn purchases. Yeah! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment