Missoni

January 13, 2008

Cross-Country Mittens

Mittendetail

Ravelers see them here.

I think it's quite fitting for my Norwegian Mittens to be making their debut just before the 2008 Winter Olympics. I just finished the first one this morning, and will start the second later today. (I must do a couple loads of laundry! Eek!) I've got to say (and this is not bragging, I'm completely serious) that if you can make it through an Elizabeth Zimmermann pattern or "pithy directions" you have permission to do the knitting dance. (The knitting dance is sort of like the touchdown dance, minus the football.) Maybe I just haven't been knitting long enough, or maybe it's because I've never knitted mittens before, but EZ works under the assumption that you, the knitter, are assuming many things. Which in my case, can make for a whole lotta frogging.
I've queued her Seamless Hybrid on Ravelry, but am almost afraid to do it, as it will be my first sweater attempt. I might switch to my second sweater choice, Cobblestone, after hearing that the instructions are very easy to follow. I'm thinking I've just gotten spoiled to really detailed instructions, from a lot of great designers. But, in the end, EZ's designs are so timeless, that you don't mind so much having to sit up a little straighter and pay attention a bit more. Makes for a better knitter, and greater sense of accomplishment!

Norwegiandetail

I'm ready to begin the second mitten, mainly because I want to see how these babies are gonna look blocked. It's amazing how it takes out the puckering and smoothes the stitches. Hopefully I'll have this knit finished by Tuesday. I've got two friends having babies and I'm itching to start Saartje's Booties along with Hello Yarn's Top-Down Bonnet! But for now, I'm going to make a pot of coffee, do a little laundry, and take a break. I feel like I've gone a few miles on a Norwegian cross-country trail!


----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Alice  DATE: 01/13/2008 09:09:51 PM Awesome so far! I totally understand you about the EZ instructions. Sometimes my brain can't wrap around them...
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 01/13/2008 09:50:56 PM I considered even writing that, because I know how much everyone loves EZ (me included). It's not hard to stump me, and I think some of the things I get confused on, if she were still here, she would clunk me upside the head! I'm sure it's all basic knitting stuff that knitters years ago just knew.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Grace  DATE: 01/14/2008 12:05:08 PM Gorgeous! I always find your website to be so inspiring (and it is one of my most favorite blogs to read). I've always been intimidated by EZ patterns, but you've got me itching to make these.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: oldround  DATE: 01/14/2008 02:29:45 PM They are so pretty that now I am convinced that there is nothing silly or weird about pointed mittens and I need them now!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 01/14/2008 04:03:49 PM Ha! I'm all about pointed mittens! I think they are great heirloom knitting myself. Go get you some! : ) Grace, I can't imagine how great a pair of Norwegians would look having been knit by you. But I do know that if you knit them, a WHOLE lot more people would be itching to knit them too!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: √úhltje  DATE: 01/16/2008 08:39:24 AM Great pictures of a marvellous mitten.

No comments:

Post a Comment