Missoni

February 8, 2011

A Few of My (New) Favorite Things


Everglade Tam, [ jenleigh ]'s version.
Everglade by Woolly Wormhead
Project Specs:
Knitted in Cascade Pure Alpaca, lichen.
Knit on size US 5 circulars.

We can't seem to get enough snow lately here in the Mid-west.  Well, I guess I should say we've gotten plenty, but it still continues to fall.  I spent last week snowed in with two stir-crazy kiddos while their father suffered a similar fate in Boston (sans children, which in my book doesn't earn him any points).  So I've found plenty of time to knit, and knit, and then knit some more.  This knitting fest may have something to do with the new Tassimo coffee maker I got for Christmas, and a large supply of Caramel Latte in the pantry, but it may be because I'm just in a very industrious mood! (Yeah, I'm leaning toward the first option too.)  Either way I have been starting and finishing a lot of projects lately, and I thought I would collect several and combine them in one post!

This is Everglade, a fun and fast hat pattern by Wooly Wormhead featuring overlapping lace leaves.  I knit this using Cascade Pure Alpaca and it took only 1 skein on size US 5 circs.  Because I chose to go up a needle size instead of the size denoted in the pattern notes, I  opted to knit the smallest size hat (XS).  I ended up with the measurements of the small, which is exactly what I was hoping for!
 

The hat is a little large on Annabelle, but she was a willing model so we went with it!  It will actually fit either of us, which is a good thing.  I loved working with the Pure Alpaca... It gives the hat such a soft and pretty halo effect that I find very striking with this pattern.

The brim consists of three inches of ribbing so you can fold it or leave it as is for a more slouchy fit.  I opted for the colorway Lichen and am really pleased with how this hat came out.  With all the snowy weather and more on the way it's been a very warm choice!

............................................


Romney Kerchief, [ jenleigh ]'s version.

Romney Kerchief by Jared Flood
Project Specs:
Knit in Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool DK, gooseberry for main color and persimmon for edging.
Knitted on size US 8 needles.

Another quick project I had on and off the needles in just a couple of days is the Romney Kerchief by Jared Flood.  This was a terribly easy knit, and I'm so pleased with the finished shawl!  Using Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool DK in gooseberry I was determined to use only one skein.  Of course, I ran out of yarn with only two rows to go, but luckily I had a skein of persimmon in my basket and finished it up with that.  I think I like it better with the contrasting edge!
I also used yarn overs on either side of the center stitch and think I would have preferred M1L and M1R increases instead.  But overall I'm really pleased with how it looks and am surprised by home warm it is!  Since the pattern is more of a recipe than a line by line instruction I included my modifications on my project page found here on Ravelry.  I also decided last minute, while stretching it to block, that I would scallop the edges rather than block straight.  Another mod that I'm pleased with!

At the risk of making this post entirely too long I'll quit here for today!  Oh, and I discovered after finishing my Romney that it doesn't have enough yardage to qualify for the 11 Shawls in 2011 group on Rav.  Bummer... but I do have a couple more that I know will work!  I'm just shy of finishing Hemlock, another nightmare from 2008.  Does that count as a shawl?

Hope everyone (and your knits) are well!

Happy Knitting!

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Gigi DATE: 02/09/2011 07:08:52 PM Such a cute hat but even cuter daughter ;)! LOVE those freckles! And your Romney is perfection -- such a sophisticated choice of colors. GG
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 02/10/2011 09:23:03 AM Thanks Gigi! Did you notice Jared Flood came out with an official pattern yesterday for Romney? Although it doesn't have scalloped edges... You'll just have to eyeball that! LOL! Looking forward to seeing yours! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment