Missoni

January 8, 2010

It's A Wrap

Hap Blanket by Ysolda Teague
Project Specs:
Knitted in Cascade Ecological Wool, browns.
Knit on size US 10.5 needles.

Oh my gosh what an incredibly fast knit! I began this as a travel knit and couldn't believe how quickly it was finished!   My good friend has a baby due soon and I wanted to knit something really special that would last for years to come.  Because of the distance I won't get to knit many things for her kiddos and I thought a baby blanket would make a great heirloom gift.  And with heirloom knitting I wanted a pattern that has some history, so I chose the Scottish Hap Shawl.
 
Ysolda's version of this pattern is a great one, although there are many out there to choose from.  I wanted something knit at a larger gauge as I have several skeins of Eco-Wool in my stash that have seriously been needing a project.  This version fit the bill exactly.  It took less than two skeins to complete, one full skein for the main color and just a bit for the contrasting.  And the blanket gains so much size through blocking and the fluffiness factor is perfect for a baby!


I plan on knitting another one (for her toddler) as well, only I think I'll do it in a solid color, maybe charcoal? I loved using the Eco-Wool for this project.  This is the first time I've worked with this wool and I can see why it's such a favorite choice for blankets!  It's incredibly warm and soft. And the Old Shale lace pattern looks lovely in it.
 

I would definitely recommend this pattern for a first lace project, or a first large project.  It goes so fast and you only need to understand a few basic skills, such as picking up stitches and simple increasing and decreasing.  And I think it's a project knitters of all skill levels would love knitting. 

The only modification I made to the pattern was in beginning the last contrast color rows a row earlier before binding off, and only because the last bit of my main color had some cuts in it...I don't know if that was my fault or what, but I really like that I did it.  It made the bind off the same size as the other contrasting color stripes.

I used pins to block the scallops in the lace work and it worked really well in helping the blanket to block flat without curling.  The pattern uses a great p2tog bind off which really helps in keeping you from binding off too tightly.  Overall I'm really pleased with this project and looking forward to knocking out the second!
Happy Knitting!

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Alice  DATE: 01/08/2010 09:08:41 PM Wow Jen, it turned out soooo nice! I'm definitely adding this one to my list now that I've seen yours :)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Beate  DATE: 03/02/2010 10:14:49 AM Your feather & fan pattern blanket is beautiful. so clean, classic and simple. I like it. 
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: NuttyIrishman  DATE: 03/04/2010 12:21:10 PM Thanks so much Beate! I knit this as a baby blanket and think it was a great choice... its knits up so nicely in the EcoWool! =) 
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Beate  DATE: 04/13/2010 08:15:30 AM :-) I am back admiring the wrap- feel like making one for my self- only bigger/wider... well, it's on the wish list. It's still gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment