Missoni

December 28, 2009

Weather Forecast: A Wintry Mix

IMG_7612 
Wintry Mix Mitts by Grace Schnebly
Knit using Ultra Alpaca Light in winter white, prune, and pea soup.
Knit on US 1 dpns.
Ravelers see my mitts here.


I was fortunate to receive an early draft of this pattern a couple of weeks ago, but I hate to in any way suggest I was test knitting this, as neither Grace nor Alice need test knitters.  They have each other covered on that front!  But I was excited none the less to get a copy and tried to work on it as much as I could while finishing up Christmas knits.  (Yes! The Top-Down Raglan is complete and I'll get photos this next week...yahoo!)  And you know it's a great pattern when your trying to finish up other projects in order to get back to working on it!

IMG_7616

When Alice showed me the chart I knew they were going to have a hit on their hands. And the Ultra Alpaca worked in such a small gauge is perfect for these sampler mitts!  I put together some colors left over from a pair of Fiddleheads and ran the colors by Alice, in which she exclaimed, "No! Grace is doing those!" So I went back and picked colors that are perfect for both winter, and for me.  I love the prune mix which is more like blackberries, combined with the pea soup mix.  By far Ultra Alpaca Light is one of my favorite yarns for colorwork projects.

IMG_7613 

This is a great pattern, well written and easy to follow.  And each section is so pretty that you can't wait to knit another one!  The pattern is knit with negative ease which really makes for a great fit.  Sometimes patterns are great until you block them and you end up with a soggy mess.  I really like how the Wintry Mitts retain their shape and won't stretch out over time.
The only modification I made was in knitting a round in my ribbing color before starting the ribbing for the thumb and top of the mitt.  And only to avoid my other contrasting color from being visible in the purl stitches in the first round of ribbing.

IMG_7604

I'IMG_7588ve started my second mitt, but as we're heading out of town tomorrow to visit family over the holidays I won't be able to work on it until my feet are steady on the ground.  (Car sickness...) So I've got some travel knitting for the 1000 mile hike back to the South.  But I plan on taking it with me and finishing while there.
 I'm so proud of the girls at KathrynIvy.com and the great knits and patterns they are bringing to us!  It's so much fun to watch knitting friends really hit their stride with designs and I'm looking forward to what they'll come up with next!  Happy Knitting!


----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Ashley DATE: 12/31/2009 03:33:50 AM can I please have the pattern to the cap'n crunch neck warmer please the link is broken:(
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Leslie  DATE: 01/02/2010 11:20:20 AM Such beauties! You're on a roll. Happy New Year!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Beate DATE: 03/02/2010 10:21:05 AM Your colours and pic. are great.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer DATE: 03/04/2010 12:22:39 PM Thank you! =) This pattern paired with Ultra Alpaca Light is really a lot of fun. The colorwork smooths out nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment