Missoni

April 3, 2008

A Tale of Two Mittens

Itsaknittinthang
Fiddlehead Mittens by Adrian Bizilia;
knitted from Hello Yarn Mitten Kit, original colorway;
knitted on Crystal Palace bamboo DPN's, US size 3, smallest size.
Ravelers find my mitten here.

This is a snip-it of dialog between Alice and myself over the last couple of days.  There have been some pretty tense moments to say the least: 

I think it's too small!... my gauge is way off!... the cat just ate my yarn!!

And on and on.  But we've had such a great time knitting together!  I wondered how a cross-country KAL would work.  Three time zones mind you.  But it's worked out great, and you really get to know each other in the process.  Okay, I admit it.  I've been finding out what yarns Alice is using on all her projects.  She so thoroughly does her homework, and I'm so lazy!  It's just an added bonus that her knits always end up looking just like (or better) than the original.


And where is Grace?  I don't know!  She's like Waldo... we're still looking for her!  I have a feeling she's in the zone and will then boom! Drop a spectacular mitten on all of us that will make us all pea green with envy!  (She has a way of doing that too!)

The Fiddlehead Mittens are to die for.  Really.  They are absolutely spectacular.  After you finish one, and it has blocked you just sort of sit there staring at it.  Stunned that an idea so beautiful could be envisioned and then executed.  Adrian is the queen.  All hail the queen!

I've still got another mitten to go.  My plan is to work on the lining for this mitten at the same time.  I really want to feel that squishy Alpaca against my hand.  And it will make the mitten so full and fuzzy!

So back to it... no time to spare!  Alice is a machine and you've got to have your running shoes double-knotted to keep up with her.  Hopefully we'll all have some finished mittens by this weekend, and some fun pictures to share with everybody!


----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Alice DATE: 04/03/2008 10:46:44 AM Yours looks soooo good! Even though I love my mitten I'm still jealous of the 'originals'!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Grace DATE: 04/03/2008 11:04:20 AM Jen that mitten looks AMAZING!! Your stitches are so perfect too! Sorry I have been so silent... We're in the middle of buying a house right now and it has kind of moved everything else to the back burner. I'll definitely post my progress tomorrow, but I am so far behind you guys!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Ulla V. DATE: 04/03/2008 11:20:36 AM It really does look fabulous your - still alone - mitten. I adore the way the colours change. I have seen so many wonderful colur combinations for this pattern, and I wish that I dared to have a go at knitting mittens for the very first time....
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Denise DATE: 04/03/2008 04:03:22 PM The mitten looks great. Sounds like you've both had fun knitting along together. That's a great thing to do.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Leslie  DATE: 04/04/2008 08:30:17 AM So that's what you've been up to! I was wondering what was on your needles. That mitten is gorgeous; I'm so envious.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 04/04/2008 11:59:53 AM Thanks guys! Progress on the second mitten is much slower than the first! The lining seems to take for-eva! :-)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Crystal  DATE: 04/05/2008 11:33:26 PM OMG!! It's so pretty! That neat thing you did with the notes is really cool too.

No comments:

Post a Comment