Missoni

February 25, 2008

You Are Now Free to Knit About the Cabin

Sweaterupclose

February Baby Sweater from Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Knitted on US 6's using Malabrigo Merino Worsted, apple green
Ravelers see it here.

Well, it's been a long week.  A good week, but a long one.  Andy and I are just getting home from a trip to San Diego, and with the sleet and snow we continue to have in Kansas, it was a nice respite.  Relaxing strolls along the beach, watching the seals, eating gelato, and of course, knitting.  Say what?  Rewind...

Februarysweater_2 Knitting! Yep.  Vacation* just wouldn't be the same without some sticks and yarn!  And so I packed some from my stash to knit a small project on the plane, but of course, soon found that I  hated the yarn I took.  Therefore our first stop in San Diego (after some Thai for lunch) was at the LYS in La Jolla.  There I found a great selection of Malabrigo and subsequently went loco.  Andy still says I'm a cheap date though.  I continue to see this yarn popping up everywhere and I've been looking forward to getting my hands on some too.  It is yummy yarn.  Not sexy yarn.  But definitely yummy.  It's bouncy and light, and after knitting Elizabeth Zimmermann's February Baby Sweater I can honestly say it didn't splice once.  Not one time did I accidentally stick my needles through the yarn.  It held together so well!  And I really love this color, apple green.  It's very happy.  Perfect for a baby's sweater.

This was a great pattern as well.  It was easy to follow (did I just say that about "pithy directions?") and was easy to memorize.  After I got started, I was able to put the book away and just sit back and knit.  That's always nice.  And to finish it off, I used more of my grandmother's buttons.  From start to finish I put about three days good knitting into it.  That's it!
And now for some old news...

Mitkit

... yep.  I got one too!  I took pictures of my kit before we left but didn't have time to post about it.  But if you want to know pretty much my story, read Shannon's.  And I'm glad to see that Grace's came in, as Alice and I were both freaking out for a good hour that Thursday afternoon!  I can't wait to see what these girls do with their mit-kits.  Mine is the original colorway, which was dumb luck on my part.  But luck I'm thankful for none the less!  I just hope I'm not in over my head and make a total mess of these beautiful mittens!  Now, this yarn... this is some seriously sexy yarn!
*Okay, before some of you guys get mad at me for knitting while on vacation with my husband, he was actually at a conference for two of those days.  So that's when I did my knitting!  :-)

 ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Alice DATE: 02/25/2008 09:00:54 PM Words can not express how much I love this sweater! The brown buttons are the perfect touch too :)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Bec  DATE: 02/26/2008 04:31:33 AM Oh wow - that jumper is just SO SO gorgeous. Actually, I would love one exactly like this for myself....ok, note to self...must learn how to knit...
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 02/26/2008 08:02:41 AM Thanks Alice! The buttons sort of look like a stem to me. And Bec... I know!!! I absolutely love this sweater and want one for myself too! The pattern is really easy to follow and could easily be worked to fit an adult. So note to Bec, get some sticks and learn to knit! You'll be glad you did! :-)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jackie  DATE: 02/26/2008 08:34:46 AM Love the color. Will have to put that pattern on my to do list.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Leslie DATE: 02/26/2008 05:13:14 PM Wow, I love that baby sweater! That's another pattern I need to try. The color of that yarn is fabulous. And the mitts...well...you ARE a lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment