Missoni

January 22, 2008

Norwegian Mittens

Let me start by apologizing to all you guys who were unfortunately visiting NIK this morning while I was working on the layout! Ugh! I bet I was driving you nuts! But thankfully, I think I've got it all worked out.

And it's a good thing I didn't say by which Tuesday I wanted to have my Norwegian mittens finished! It has been a crazy week, with an unexpected turn-around trip to Arkansas. But we are home and my Norwegians have blocked. I love this pattern so much I have plans to knit another pair. I wandered from the pattern only once, opting to use a braid to give the cuff flare, rather than an I-cord. And the next pair I knit, I will do better on my thumbs. I don't like them, at all. They are big and bulky, and you could easily put two thumbs in each! EZ's instructions call for picking up stitches at either end and twisting those stitches to avoid a hole. My thumb didn't continue easily with the pattern, but sort of stuck out. (Ha! Like a sore...) For me, picking up additional stitches added bulk. I think if I knit the Afterthought Thumb again, I think I will consider the number of stitches I mark for the thumb, and go with the less is more approach.

Norwegianmittens_2

Ravelers see them here.

The yarn worked out beautifully. I have one full skein of Cocoon left to knit another pair! You would never believe by looking at these mittens that you could knit a pair using only one skein of your main color. Mine are exactly 12" from top to bottom, which (I think) is EZ's measurements. And I love the pointed shape! In my opinion it's perfect heirloom knitting. Although this weekend my brother thought I was knitting a "change purse," and declared, "that's the ugliest change purse I've ever seen!" He changed his mind after further inspection...

I am completely addicted to braids for Nordic knitting. Amazingly they keep stockinette from curling up on mittens, hats, and just about anything else you trim out with them! Here is a generic pattern for a braid that can be used to edge the Norwegian Mittens if you're not interested in doing the ribbed cuff or I-cord:

CO stitches designated by the pattern in Main Color. Place marker and join for knitting in the round.
Round 1: Knit.
Round 2: Bring MC to front as if to purl. Join CC and purl 1 stitch in contrasting color.
Bringing the MC over the CC, purl the second stitch. Continue purling, bringing each yarn over
the other, alternating colors. (This will cause your yarn to twist, so allow yourself plenty of tension.)
Round 3: Beginning with CC, purl, continuing to alternate colors as in previous round, only bring each yarn under the previous yarn. (This will cause your yarn to twist the opposite direction, until completely untwisted.)
Round 4: Knit in MC.

Continue with pattern instructions. (This revision gives you one less row than specified by EZ for the ribbing, but the braid is slightly larger, and the finished measurements come out the same.)
If you've never used a braid before, try it! If you're anything like me you'll be sticking them on everything!

Mitteninaction

The only thing left to do now is a bit of lining. I plan to use some Cashsoft in Poison that has been in the bottom of one of my baskets waiting for a project. I think the Norwegian Mittens are perfect for it. You could leave these mittens unlined, but with all the stranded colorwork, I keep hanging my thumb up putting them on. I know for sure I will line the cuff before becoming distracted by other knits. The temperature this morning is -3 degrees so maybe that will hold my attention!

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Leslie  DATE: 01/22/2008 03:01:23 PM What great mittens! I've always been *afraid* of stranded colorwork but all the mittens and hats make me want to try.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 01/22/2008 03:06:23 PM Oh my gosh Leslie, if anybody can do colorwork, it's you! Actually, I've never even noticed you haven't! (I just bought more yarn to do a second pair...)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Alice  DATE: 01/22/2008 08:34:59 PM I am so in love with these! I am definitely going to do the braid when I make these (someday ;). Thank you for the info!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 01/23/2008 08:47:42 AM Hey Alice, I'm to the brim on Kiddy Cadet! LOVE IT! And the pattern is really easy to follow! :-)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: julie  DATE: 01/24/2008 05:31:01 AM they've worked out beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment