Missoni

July 28, 2012

Sass-Mouthin' Chocolate Chip Cookie

World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookie. Period.

To quote Minny Jackson:  "The only thing you need to know about cookin' is right here; Crisco."  And when it comes to baking (and the occasional frying) I have to agree.   It is indeed the greatest thing since they put mayonnaise in a jar.

I am a huge fan of butter, don't get me wrong.  I swear by butter when making scones.  But Crisco was just made for cookies and flaky pie crusts.  

With two kids (and a sweet-toothed hubby), I make a lot of cookies.  A lot.  And I have tried so many recipes, modifying them all.  But this cookie takes the cake.  The basic recipe needs no tweaking, which leaves only the potential toppings to occupy your mind (and of course the best options are usually a combo of whatever little bits are left in the pantry.)

I wish I could take credit for the recipe (I don't think there's a recipe out there today that anyone can actually take credit for anymore...), but I can't.  As a matter of fact I am straight up stealing it from the card that comes inside that pretty little 3-pack of Butter-flavored Crisco sticks.  So I look at this as sharing the love.  And it definitely produces a cookie you be a little cocky about.  Your Yeah-I-know-how-good-my-cookies-are-but-thanks-for-noticing Cookie.

When it comes to cookies I have found a couple of tricks that produce a great and consistent cookie every time.

1.  Bake at 375 degrees.  Not 350.  Seriously.  

2.  If you're not going to bake immediately (and I mean within the next 2 minutes), pop the container of cookie dough in the fridge until your ready to go.  It'll help the cookie keep a pretty shape, especially if you're reusing warm cookie sheets.

3.  Round or ball the cookie dough slightly after you put it on the cookie sheet.  It helps in avoiding the dreaded spread of your cookie.

A tablespoon of cookie dough then rounded into pretty little balls!
 Sassy Lu is a cookie dough fiend.  She is always waiting to steal the paddle attachment!


To make smaller cookies I just use a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon.  They make just the right size for a class of hungry fourth graders!  But for a larger cookie, and one I can claim without lying to myself, I only had one... I use a tablespoon.


These cookies are perfectly crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.  Even the next day.  

.........................




















adapted from Crisco's Ultimate Double Chocolate Chip Cookie
(makes 3 dozen smaller cookies and 2 dozen larger)
  • 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup Crisco Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
  • or 3/4 stick Crisco Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup cup Heath Milk Chocolate English Toffee Bits
  1. Heat oven to 375°F. Combine brown sugar, shortening, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat egg into creamed mixture.

  2. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into creamed mixture until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips and toffee bits.

  3. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough 3-inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.

  4. Bake 9 to 11 minutes.  If baking 2 sheets at a time, remove top sheet at designated time and let bottom sheet cook an additional minute.  Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet on a cooling rack. Remove cookies to rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. OK, Jennifer...I'm admitting it...I use the recipe on the Butter Flavored Crisco stix too. It's the best! Until now...no one knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Did I pressure you to spill the beans? I'm so sorry!! Everyone always wants to know my recipe for these cookies and I just felt guilty lying about it anymore! =D (They are the best...)

      Delete