Missoni

September 21, 2008

Good Golly Miss Molly


Mollyfbs


Baby Sweater on Two Needles (aka February Baby Sweater) from Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmermann.
Knitted using Malabrigo Merino Worsted, Molly Colorway.
Knitted on US 6 Crystal Palace Bamboo circs, 24 inch.
Ravelers see it here.

My mom called me last month and announced, "Tim is having a baby!  Make that sweater!!"  Now this is a big (huge/ginormous) exclamation for my mother, considering when she is visiting I get in trouble for always having needles out.  For some reason, non-knitters think that we knitters aren't paying attention if we are clicking away, which of course, is completely false!  It actually makes us better listeners, calmer therapists, and flat out better friends.  So I was so surprised when my mom specifically requested the Baby Sweater on Two Needles (aka February Baby  Sweater, aka FBS) by Elizabeth Zimmermann.  Does this mean I can now click away when Mom's in town?  I doubt it... but it is a baby step.

Fbsrolled

Actually when she asked for it, or demanded it, (tomato... tomahto) I was happy to oblige.  I've made this sweater once before and loved every minute of it.  Probably because it's worsted weight lace that whips up in about four days of knitting.  And anything that involves Malabrigo, well... 'nuff said.

Garterdetailfbs

I tried something a bit differently on this one and chose to do a M1L increase instead of EZ's M1 choice of backward loop over the right needle.  I was hoping to avoid the small hole that this increase shows in the pattern.  I'm not so sure how it worked out as it created a small ridge on my increase rows, so I don't know that I would use it again.  I also decided to make it more of a swing coat, so I left out the decrease rows on the waist and spaced the button holes evenly in the yoke.  I loved how the buttons turned out so I know I'll be using those modifications again.

Buttons

I've got several other projects going now as well, including two sleeves worth of Cobblestone for Andy, and our October Mitten of the Month.  So I'll be posting some progress shots later this week of these.  I followed Jared Flood's advice (i.e. epiphany) from his Spiral Yoke Pullover and knitted the sleeves first.  I think this is just brilliant as sleeves are usually the worst of mojo stealers.  It really is working and I'm actually enjoying finishing up the second sleeve!  (Give it a try!) 

Mollybabysweater

But as for the FBS, there are already more in my future.  I've tried to cast on some alternatives, but I just end up frogging.  So as long as friends are having babies, I'll be winding Mal and knitting this sweater.  And goodness knows if it allows me to clickity-clack without getting the raised brow from Mom then I'll knit as many as neccessary!

 ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Ulla V.  DATE: 09/21/2008 03:28:02 PM I don't think that I ever will get tired of this cardigan!! And in the colour you have chosen it's extremely beautiful....I just love the way you show it in the picture - like a little person ;0) The "you're not listening because you are knitting - thing" is SO annoying!! I feel the same way as you, and listen even more concentrated when I'm knitting!! Tried it in high school, but the teachers didn't approve of my needles and yarn during classes - I wonder why? ;0) I hope your mom will allow you to knit for ever and ever during her visits...it's actually a part of our personality to knit ;0))) Have a wonderful day, Jennifer - or is it night at your place? Ulla :0)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Myriam  DATE: 09/22/2008 07:53:32 PM Awwww i love it :) i wish someone would have some babies so i would make one. i know how it is about non-knitters not thinking we are listening-if only they knew :)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Leslie  DATE: 09/23/2008 07:18:58 AM Wow, Jen, this is so perfect! I love that color and those buttons, too. It's perfect. I still haven't tried the Mal yet...still wondering about washability for babies. (I need to get over it, I know!)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jason  DATE: 09/23/2008 08:55:25 PM Wow, that's really beautiful. I like the mods you made too. Any worry about not using superwash for a baby though?
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Denise  DATE: 09/25/2008 03:46:16 PM That looks so sweet, I love the color of it. The buttons really finish it off nicely :)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Alice  DATE: 09/27/2008 07:31:58 PM The buttons... the color... everything about this little sweater is perfect! I think you've inspired me to pick mine back up and try to get through the lace ;) Miss our morning coffee talks... why must we be so busy!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Beate  DATE: 01/06/2009 03:05:33 PM Aaaaah. Cute color, cute buttons and great pictures.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Hena  DATE: 07/23/2009 03:41:19 PM sweater looks great, love the color, the buttons are really cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment