Missoni

August 20, 2008

A Little Wisdom Goes A Long Way

Mitered-ipod

Mitered Mittens from Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmermann.
Knitted in Noro Silk Garden Lite, colorway 2037.
Knitted using magic loop on Addi Turbos, US size 4.
Ravelers see them here.

It started out like any other day.  Betsy, the toy poodle woke me up at 6, eager to make her morning tromp down to Turtle Pond.  I then made a pot of coffee, sadly discovering we were out of half and half.  And finally, I plopped down at the computer to check emails and of course, new patterns on Ravelry.  It was here, while surfing patterns and drinking that perfect first cup that I felt it.  And I thought, hmmm... something's hung in my tooth.  So I started to wiggle my tongue around back there trying to figure out what it was.  And that's when it came loose.  No, not a piece of food.  But my tooth.  Half of my wisdom tooth to be exact.   So there I sat, mouth full of hot coffee and half a tooth floating around somewhere therein.  I didn't know what to do.  Should I swallow?  Should I spit?  Ah!  The dilemma! Thankfully I decided to spit.

And how are you?  Ha!  First time you hear from me in a month and this is the greeting you get?  Terrible huh?  And it is how I spent yesterday morning.  But yesterday afternoon's recovery period proved much more productive, i.e. EZ's awesome Mitered Mittens from Knitter's Almanac.  These may be my favorite mitten pattern to date. 

Mitered-angle-upclose

I am in love with this pattern!  And knitting it in Silk Garden Lite was a dream.  I've had two skeins of this colorway laying around for some time now, and this seemed the perfect opportunity to knit them up.

Mitered-detail

I know I've been MIA lately.  It has taken a good month for me to get our house in order after the recent move, and believe me I still have a long way to go!  But I have been surfing patterns online and watching with shear fascination how some of you guys are knitting your way through the Olympics.  I am amazed at your stamina!  Every morning I check the Ravelympics and cannot believe all the new FO's posted.  And it was here that I saw Alice's Mitered Mittens just finished this week.  Needless to say I've been struggling for a project that could fit into my hectic schedule right now, and when I saw these I thought, that's it!  Did I mention it was at 9:00 at night?  Well, it was, and by noon the next day I had the first mitten off the needles and in the bath.  Yesterday afternoon, happily drugged on pain killers, I finished the second and gave it a good soaking too. 

Miteredangle

I followed Grace's instructions for the sore thumb, which turned out great.  EZ calls for the afterthought thumb which requires "snipping a stitch" and then unraveling it "either direction" until fifteen are exposed.  Lord just shoot me now.  My hands are shaking just thinking about it!  But it makes for great fun reading one of Zimmermann's patterns.  There for a moment I actually thought I might be able to do it.  But it was  short lived and an indication it was time for my meds...

Miteredmittens

But with Grace's modifications I felt much safer.  I also liked Alice's idea of binding off twelve rather than eight at the end, and it gave it a slightly less pointed top.  And I know I will be knitted another pair of these, soon.  They made for perfect Olympic knitting, with only one row of instructions you can put the book down and simply let the Noro do it's amazing thang.

So it's good to back!  And I hope to reinstate my usual knitting schedule now that things are calming down a bit.  I've got a few other things on the sticks right now that need finishing up, so hopefully you'll be hearing more from me soon!  Happy Knitting!

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Leslie  DATE: 08/20/2008 09:43:32 PM Yikes, the tooth! Did you get the remaining piece extracted? Not a great start to the day. Looks like you made up for it with some great mitts. These might be something fun for me to try. (Welcome back to blogland!)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Alice DATE: 08/20/2008 10:29:26 PM So glad to see you back! Those mittens are pure rainbow-y eye candy. Love em! Remind me tomorrow to get my ass to the post office... I have something I need to mail to you but I always put that stuff off way too long! Sounds like now you need a little pick me up more than ever :)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jodi  DATE: 08/20/2008 10:37:28 PM Gorgeous mittens! I need to give that pattern a try. Bummer about the tooth -- how freaky is that.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Grace  DATE: 08/20/2008 11:04:44 PM Oh god that tooth incident sounds AWFUL! Now I'm more glad than ever to have had them removed back before college. The mittens are beautiful, of course, just like everything else you knit! Glad to see you back. Wee!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: amy  DATE: 08/20/2008 11:51:24 PM hey Jen, bad ass fiddlehead girl here. girl i'm a dental hygienist...did you go to the dentist? do you need a dentist? if you need my help, email me.
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: SweetP  DATE: 08/21/2008 02:29:37 AM They are gorgeous!!! Wow Hope your mouth is on the mend. Did you go to the dentist?
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: monique  DATE: 08/21/2008 03:18:28 AM beeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful mitts !!! I bought 2 skeins of noro kureyon this summer and was thinking of knitting either mitts or a pretty hat. I want to thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog.Cape Cod is indeed such a marvelous place to go . cheers !
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: monique  DATE: 08/21/2008 09:18:29 AM Hi again Jennifer. No i have never tried knitting with any of the noro yarns. I bought my kureyon yarns in Harwich Port, while vacationing at the Cape. Couldn't resist the gorgeous color ! Oh, you are right, Chatham is so awfully sweet, beautiful and an uncommercial place, perfect for my kind of vacation! :) If you go back, walk on South Beach, it is fabulous ! You can see many seals, the scenery is breathtaking and beachcombing is so much fun. have a great day, and thanks for writing !
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Denise  DATE: 08/21/2008 09:35:52 AM Love the colors in your mitts, they look very 'Fall-ish', and I'm so looking forward to Fall :-)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Ginnie  DATE: 08/21/2008 05:00:15 PM Beautiful mittens--I absolutely love that pattern with Silk Garden! I think it's time to check out my Noro stash:)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Stacey DATE: 08/23/2008 06:08:20 AM LOL @ Lord just shoot me now!! Haha! Glad you are feeling better and the mitts are lovely! They are on my list for this winter! ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Amy  DATE: 08/23/2008 09:08:11 AM Love Noro and the mittens turned out beautiful in them. What a rotten way to start the weekend with the tooth incident. Of course it makes the perfect excuse to just sit and knit and garner pity and attention from the family ;-) ----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Beate  DATE: 10/30/2008 03:24:26 PM I just love those mittens. superb colors- I must have knitted around 10 pairs the last year.. so easy.. and fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment