Missoni

March 11, 2008

Gus the Octopus

Gus

Octopus by Hansigurumi
knitted in Lion Brand Wool, paprika and sage
using US size 3 Hiya Hiya DPN's
Pattern Modification:  picked up stitches along CO edge of tentacles and knit together using 3 needles rather than seaming CO and BO edge with whip stitch.
Ravelers find Gus here.

Maybe you noticed above that I modified this pattern.  Not much, just enough to avoid seaming!  The idea of whip-stitching eight tentacles gave me chills, so instead I decided to pick up stitches and knit together with the tentacle, then bind off the whole caboodle.  It worked great, and saved me a lot of time! 

I am on such a toy kick lately.  I can't help it.  I'm in serious need of instant gratification and toys rock that arena out.  And it's also a great opportunity to work on my, dare I say that nasty four letter word?  Okay yeah I will,  the dreaded seam.  You know it's funny, I've been reading your funny comments and emails and everyone says the same thing... seaming stinks! Maybe it's because;
    ~it takes as long to seam as it does to knit, and
    ~if you're a good knitter (which you all are) it can really be a let down to not have your finished object look as neat as you think it should.

I know for me I can relate to both.  I'm not saying I'm all that and a bag of chips when it comes to knitting, but my stitches are uniform and I can read a pattern pretty well.  And to have a cute little toy go and sit up on a shelf gathering dust just ain't right!  They are meant to be gifted, played with, or at least put within view on that shelf.  (Y'all know what I'm talking about.)

Gusfullfront

All that said, I'm really pleased with how Gus turned out.  I think I should have started with this pattern, as it was much easier than the Dumbo Octopus, and it really makes me want to reknit the other now that I understand Hansi's instructions a bit better.  And he was stinkin' fast to knit.  I mean really fast; a few hours at most!  Certainly modifying the tentacles saved time and I cheated on the eyeballs, opting for the plastic safety eyes instead.  But I think they give him a sort of soulful gaze, or maybe that's all part of his strategy, to tug at my heartstrings and then... gulp.

Goodeats

I used Lion Brand Wool on this project.  And I've got to say, I'm not the biggest fan of this wool.  It tends to overwork really easily, getting fuzzy quickly if you need to tink.  I ended up re-knitting the head and mantle because the wool became so worn looking when I needed to redo a couple rows.  Gus looked like he'd gone a few rounds with a sea turtle before he was even finished.

Gusupclose


And both Ben and Annabelle thought he was Squidward from Spongebob Squarepants, so I guess you know what's next... yep, Squid-a-licious.  But I think I've gotten my fill of toys for a few days.  I really want to cast on something else.  I've queued Anouk by Kate Gilbert on Ravelry.  Now may be a good time to get started on it.  It's sixty degrees here today and such warm weather makes me wishful for Spring!  But first, it's laundy and coffee time.  And now that I think of it, did I even make the beds this morning?  Hmmm. 

----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Denise DATE: 03/11/2008 03:26:40 PM Very cute - what are you doing with all these little creatures? Are they already in someone's toy box :-)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 03/11/2008 03:43:14 PM Ha! Actually, Gus is headed to Houston. It's not to far too Galveston, right? ;-)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Grace DATE: 03/12/2008 09:07:41 AM I've totally be on a toy kick too!! I love Gus. Your mods are great and he is just the cutest thing. Seeing this little guy really makes me want to knit another one!
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Myriam  DATE: 03/12/2008 05:40:51 PM Awww super cute-i have been loving all your knitted toys lately :)
----- COMMENT: AUTHOR: Jennifer  DATE: 03/12/2008 10:20:46 PM Thanks guys! I want to knit another one too! I bought all kinds of crazy Cascade color combinations today at the yarn shop. I think everyone's just starting to go... "Ohhh, for her toys..." :-S

No comments:

Post a Comment